In defence of SPP

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,387
Re: Who is...

Hi Richard,

Yes, obviously some things need improvement in my opinion too, but photographers who are in the "limelight" such as Thom need to understand that "every photographer" - professional or otherwise, doesn't have the same workflow. Some are wild about Lightroom. Personally, I can take it or leave it. Some think Adobe's ARC is the cat's meow. Well, sometimes I find it's very good and at other times I far prefer DX0 Optics Pro myself. SPP with its share of "warts" is still the best way to convert and deal with Foveon files. Some versions are better than others and there are always compromises.

The bottom line is that no one is forcing Thom to use Fuji. If he likes it enough to use it, then he needs to accept that Fuji, like Sigma, probably has a very good reason for not yet being compatible with his beloved workflow. Thom is primarily a Nikon guy and I don't hear him pinging on Nikon because there are and have been proprietary RAW implementations which are not commonly compatible with more mainstream software. Most Nikon folks end up with Capture NX2 which lets them avail themselves of some features not commonly found in more mainstream conversion and image manipulation software compatible with Nikon.

There is always the option of not accepting and using the camera if one doesn't like the workflow. Nobody is twisting his arm or the arm of anyone for that matter. One rarely hears anyone complaining because they have to use specialized software for Betterlight scanning backs or other high resolution medium format cameras - just lots of "chatter" about what is "wrong" with SPP, etc. So my suggestion would be to tell Sigma if there is something which we believe could be improved - I do. Eventually they will "fix" it. Maybe not as fast a many of us would like, but that's all part of the challenge of being a photographer in today's fast-paced, technology driven world I guess.

Best regards,

Lin

richard stone wrote:
Lin

It is of course, a use of the Royal "We."

You should recall that "professionals" are the focus of all these cameras..

Note: "SA" (Satire Alert).

I think M.R. is having the same issue. Not that I don't greatly appreciate his view on the DP2M etc. But of course when you change a huge part of the image process/system, of course a few other things are going to have to be changed too, in this case the workflow.

SPP needs to be made better, and I am sure Sigma knows this. From my perspective the idea that "0" NR actually includes some NR (for example) is simply misguided. On the other hand, "auto" needs to be available....

Richard

Lin Evans wrote:

"We" ?? You can only speak for yourself....

Lin
--
learntomakeslidshows.net

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Lin Evans's gear list:Lin Evans's gear list
Olympus E-10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
JLK
JLK
JLK
JLK
JLK
(unknown member)
jbr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow