seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
newmikey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,857
Re: seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Blackburn11 wrote:

First, I am hoping to get some nice comments about people happy with pentax and that think it is a good system to buy into.

I've always been quite happy with Pentax (K110D-> K100-DS-> K20D-> K-5) and think it's not just a good system to buy into but, having seen your wishes, possibly the best for YOU at this time.

There are lots of posts here shooting down pentax and people thinking about changing systems. I dont know if that is just for higher price point cameras or what, but I need some confidence that this system is a good investment (I have considered m4/3 systems as well as canon and nikon systems).

See that with any brand. I'd advise to ignore entirely.

Second, I was considering the 18-135 weather sealed lens and k-30 for $1100 (and a 70-300mm lens in the future).

Go for the 18-135, should suit you just fine. Forget the 70-300 options, they're of limited use both opportunity-wise as well as quality wise. Aim for the 55-300 next instead.

I was also thinking about the 18-55 lens and a 50-200 lens for $930 (and perhaps a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 in the near future).

You'll find yourself changing lenses a lot with any of the above in family situations.

Mike

-- hide signature --
 newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow