seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
MaxLowLight Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Blackburn11 wrote:

Thank you. I meant to ask about the m lenses, not the a.

Well. I ordered the stupid thing. I got stage fright at the last minute about the 18-135 WR lens. I was just very tight budget wise and couldnt spend the 500 on it. Some of the internet reviews scared me out of it also.

I got the K-30, a used Tamron 18-200, a used Pentax m 28mm f/2.8, and a used Pentax m 50mm f1.7. Got it all for just over $900. So the wife was only mad enough to smack me around for about 3 hours today.

I realize that the Tamron is probably less of a lens quality wise than the 18-135 wr. But I will get to see more focal length and see what I like to shoot. I hopefully can get a feel for the difference in IQ between a big zoom lens and some sharp primes.

Worse case scenario, I can resell any of it I dont use without too much of a loss and get something more suitable.

Cant wait to get it in my hands!

This is exactly me. I had to keep my spending down and the wife was on me like white on rice. At first she was all ok with me waiting on the K5II-s, which was $1300 just for the body. Then when she found out I wanted the K30 instead for $800, she ratcheted her limit down...I ended up getting the 18-135 and a couple manual lenses.

I bought the 70-300 PK and 50 1.7 PK. The 50 I got does not have the A- mode so I gotta use the green button, I think this is what you said you are getting. If so, heres how it works. If you shoot out of M mode on camera, it always fires at wide open aperture (1.7). If you shoot in M, it will fire at whatever your aperture ring is set to. Hitting the green man will adjust shutter speed to current exposures.

Using flash is actually easier, because you have similar amounts of light all the time (the light from the flash). I usually hit F11 at iso500 and just set shutter to 1:180, usually exposed well. It's a challenge to use in manual just because you have another button to hit to constantly check exposure. It's best used for planned shots where you have plenty of time, but with practice I'm sure it's not that bad.

Good luck and have fun with the K30, totally amazing camera. Check KEH dot com for lenses, they have the best prices I've seen online. I got my 70-300 (macro) for $41plus 2-day shipping. Awesome fun.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow