seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Blackburn11 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Thanks for the information Jeff.

I ordered last night. So for better or worse I am locked in!

I really wanted the WR lenses (like you), but was worried about the cost of the 18-135 wr. My understanding was that this item for $1060 did NOT have the WR lens included.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-30-Weather-Sealed-18-135mm-Lens/dp/B0082OJ3DQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349016100&sr=8-2&keywords=k-30

If I am mistaken and that is the WR lens, then I could have got the system for cheaper than I thought.

Regardless, I was a bit worried about the zoom length (like you mentioned) and I wanted to trim my budget a bit.

I got a used tamron 18-200. So I gave up the weather seal (and maybe IQ) for versatility (and cost). This will allow me to experience more range.

I also got used pentax manual prime lenses 50mm 1.7 and 28mm f2.8. I thought these would give me pract with manual mode and perhaps see the difference in IQ between a big zoom and a prime.

Plus I was able to get all of this for just over $900 which I was pleased with.

I feel I will want something faster at 300mm, but the 18-200 will be ok for now and I will know in a few months what my need really is on the longer end. Maybe a 70-300, maybe a prime, maybe a used manual lens will be good enough (maybe not). Perhaps I will want a WR walk around lens.

I do feel good that if I want to make a change to the lenses that I have the option to resell them without losing a ton of money.

Either way, I ordered it and cant wait to try things out.

-- hide signature --

Scott Blackburn

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow