FX/35mm lens on a DX body?

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,634
Re: Don't buy DX lenses

As an absolute statement this is not good advice.

First of all, the day may never come that you get a full frame camera, many people won't and won't have to, as DX is completely adequate for most purposes

Second, the DX lenses don't become useless. I have a full array of FX cameras and lenses and still have some DX lenses because I have DX cameras for more casual occasions.

Using FX lenses on DX gets very expensive or even impossible when you're trying to replicate wide and superwide.

A Nikon 10-24 DX costs about 600? The 14-24 FX is about 2000?

Worst case scenario is you someday decide FX is totally for you, you can sell the DX or keep em, they're cheaper anyways.

intensity studios wrote:

Because when the day comes that you want to buy a full frame camera, your DX lens collection will be useless. FX lenses aren't much more expensive or heavy and will work with both sensor sizes.

Yes, I know you can put DX lenses on an FX body and use DX mode, but that is a hack technology and causes you to lose critical image resolution size

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4D ED-IF II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow