12-35mm f/2.8: What's the verdict?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
kiri Senior Member • Posts: 1,628
Re: 12-35mm f/2.8: What's the verdict?

I wasn't really clear in the way I wrote it. I didn't mean that I think it should have ALL of those improvements. I meant that if it had ANY one of them, then I could make a much stronger case for it.

In other words, I feel like it falls just a bit short in too many areas, without really excelling at anything.

That's just my opinion though, from the lens on paper. I might change my mind if I actually use it.

tgutgu wrote:

You ask for the impossible as so many do. Your list includes a lot of contradicting requirements. Get realistic, and buy the 12-35mm. You won't get anything better in the near and mid-term future.

kiri wrote:

I'm very much on the fence about this lens.

It seems like it would be a nice convenient lens to have, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't add much more than convenience. I can do pretty much everything this lens can do with 20/45/9-18. And except for the 9-18, at a much wider aperture.

I would definitely be getting it if:
it were cheaper
it had a bigger range (12-50 or 60)
it were f2
it were a little smaller

As it is though, I don't know if I can justify a lens at that price which doesn't seem to really add anything significant to my kit beyond the convenience of not having to change lenses as much.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow