12-35mm f/2.8: What's the verdict?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
fcna72 Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: 12-35 zoom

papillon_65 wrote:

fcna72 wrote:

Agree with all the positive comments made earlier. I'd add the following:

+excellent sharpness, better than 14/45 and miles better than 14/42x when zooming in where the double blur was an issue at the known speed... very versatile, only swapped it sometimes with the 45-175x but I don't use the 20mm anymore
+excellent OIS, up to 1/2 sec handheld at 12mm

-flare is often an issue so one needs to be careful when shooting towards the sun

-for some reason my battery life has dropped significantly compares to the 14-42x on my GX1. I have tried 3 separates OEM batteries and battery life has gone done from 500-600 photos to 400-500, ie close to a 20% drop....I have trouble explaining this since the 14-42x is powered by a motor while the 12-35 is handpowered. I am wondering if this could be due to the powerful OIS system...

With the lens hood on I've had no real issues with flare, in fact it seems very flare resistant to me. I'm not disputing your experience it's just that I haven't had any issues with it. My 7-14mm is far worse ( to be expected to be honest ).
--
Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

it is a fair point, I have never tried to use the hood to compensate for flare. Good advice, thanks

fcna72's gear list:fcna72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow