In defence of SPP

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kriekira Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
Re: Thanks! Helpful.

JLK wrote:

You've gotten some great advice, and I have little to add. I will say that with what I've shot with the DP2M (mostly daylight), 'auto everything' works pretty damn well. If I were going to mess with the files post, I'd make sure I slammed the noise reduction to as low as possible, sharpening to -1 to -2, and make sure I hadn't blown highlights.

Save as 16 bit TIFF.

Jim -- that's been my strategy so far, but it is much easier said than done. I set the camera to "Neutral", WB to "auto", and try to expose so that all non-gleaming highlights can be recovered with minor changes with SPP's exposure slider.

Two of the major frustrations I have with SPP are:

• NR settings are not retained in the "Review" window when moving from image to image, and cannot be applied as a batch operation, and

• "Auto" exposure batch option cannot be combined with other settings (viz.: sharpening or NR).

My current "in a hurry" route is:

• batch "Save Images As" "Auto" with the settings saved back to the X3F files.

• throw out the files created

• batch "Save Images As", with a custom "Adjustment Mode" that has sharpening set to -1.0, to 16-bit TIFFs

As clunky as that is, it still doesn't include any change in the default NR settings. The only way to get that, afaict, is to change each image's settings and export individually. So my current "not in a hurry" route is:

• open each X3F file in SPP's "Review" window

• apply my -1.0 sharpening preset

• change exposure, Color Adjustment, and other settings

• slam NR to -2 for both chroma and luminance noise

• "Save Image As" to 16-bit TIFF

• repeat for each image in the shoot I want to have a TIFF from.

I want to emphasis my ignorance of SPP. There are likely better ways than I know to accomplish what I want.

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
JLK
JLK
JLK
JLK
JLK
(unknown member)
jbr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow