D800 Concerns

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
lturnerwa New Member • Posts: 12
D800 Concerns

Like a number of users out there I'm coming from a DX (D300) to my first FF camera. I have shot test files (in the store) with both D800 and D600 (raw) and worked with them in both LR and PS 6 so I'm aware of the size issues.

I'm a pro-sumer, which means I don't make my living with my camera, however I expect professional results. I shoot everything, landscapes, people, travel, some action like kids playing, birds and animals, not to much sports.

I have 70-200 2.8 and 105 2.8 Macro and 50 1.8. I would get for now the 24-85 bu at some point will look a the 24-70 2.8.

What concerns me about the D800 from all that I have read is how big a pain is to use on day to day basis with issue like:

motion blur
focus issues ( ie technique)
having to shoot at fast shutter speeds
shooting in low light

I read comments like it's a "studio camera" a "tripod camera". I would like to get feed back from some D800 user who have used it for more that an month. Any showstoppers for you.

As for the D600, I really wonder what I'm giving up and would I be sorry later, the same goes for the D800 only it's not what I give but how much pain and frustration I'm going to have.

I'm considering renting one for a day but it about $250 a day, it might be money well spent.

Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow