seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,627
High ISO, low light, and DR

High ISO, low light, and DR - are typically where I notice real big difference sometimes when comparing images from my Nikon D7K and one of my super zooms.

At higher ISOs I typically find that my super zooms have a lot of noise reduction which smudges fine details (though I do have large enlargements of very sharp photos made with super zooms at low ISOs in floodlight).
Ditto for low light.

DR (dynamic range) is another situation where I find my Nikon D7k tends to do better - but of course I also have great shots of difficult DR situations from my super zooms, I just had to be a little more careful to spot meter on the brightest spots and yes, there is more noise in the shadows than a DSLR would have produced.

If we now turn the tables: I find that my superzooms typically have better AF precision, which occasionally shows in portraits or macro, and shows the most routinely in landscapes where my D7k will routinely do a poor job (and I have done AD fine tune). Sure I can use my D7k in live view but it's screen is nasty in strong light so imagine yourself in a situation that doesn't allow for tripod, where you are not perfectly stable, attempting to view something on the screen and waiting a couple seconds to obtain focus (and sometimes not obtaining focus!) when a super zoom will have things perfectly in focus and with an AF time of 0.2s or less).

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow