Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
creaDVty
OP creaDVty Senior Member • Posts: 1,271
Re: Cameras dont over or under expose....

I think the problem was I wasn't very clear in the original post. I'm not saying that the built-in light meter is inaccurate. I'm talking about the tendencies of matrix metering.

I guarantee you that if you spot meter on a grey card it will meter dead on.

Absolutely, I agree.

Matrix meter is an ALL bets off game. Which metering point is dominant? What does it fall on? That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are SO many variables that its just best to learn how to meter yourself.

Yes I understand many people on this thread have sort of given up on matrix metering and just said - screw it, just use spot metering and the zone system. I understand that. That option is always available but I'd like to know if the matrix metering has gotten smarter with this D600. I'd say - partly.

I have owned the D70, the D2H, D2X, and D300 so far in the digital realm.

I've owned the D70, D80, D90, D300, D3, Fuji S5 and now the D600. I agree they all have idiosyncrasies.

Try matrix metering in Center Weighted mode.

You know what? You're the second person to suggest center weighted (Peter also suggested it). It sounds counterintuitive but I will indeed give it a try. FWIW I did try average mode as a way to fit the scene DR on the sensor and it seems to be productive.

And just to be clear, I'm not at all advocating a surrender to the exposure dictated by the matrix metering system. I trust myself more than the camera that's why I am saying that I need to override the matrix metering because for my purposes and my vision, the matrix metering is too aggressive.

Might be the same with this new gear.....Give it a try.

Will do.

Thanks,
Mic
--
http://www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com

TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Stylus 1 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow