seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Russ Houston
Russ Houston Veteran Member • Posts: 6,375
good choice

Blackburn11 wrote:

Wow, I cant believe the response I got from this inquiry.

I feel very confident that this is a great system to buy into and even though (relative to canon/nikon) not many people shoot pentax, the people that do are active and very helpful.

I have gone back and forth about the system (dslr, m4/3, or superzoom). When very experienced photographers talk about going to smaller systems due to nearly comparable IQ and much lighter equipment, that should send a message.

But these are people that have experienced different lenses and different equip where I have not. If I get a fz200 I will still never know how a great prime compares to a superzoom. Or how a f1.4 does in low light compared to a kit lens. I think I want and personally need to experience all of that.

I wish lenses werent so darn expensive. I would love to try some primes out right away or a zoom with constant 2.8 aperture, but I just dont have funds to try it all and dont know what focal lengths I will use the most.

I am going to get the k-30 with 18-135 wr. I think for a first lens it will tell me what focal lengths I use most, will give me the weather seal (which I may not use, but will be nice to have). Then after a few months (or a year if I cant raise the funds) then I will try an appropriate prime or (less likely) telephoto.

Just stinks getting 1 lens when there are so many beautiful options out there. But, what is the hurry I guess!

Thank you all... your comments were very helpful.

I agree with your decision on the 18-135. I have the older 18-250 for the same reason that I don't want to make my family wait while I change lenses. The 18-135 has the added benefit of being WR.

If you want to add a fast prime, go to KEH.com and buy a 50mm f/1.7 manual lens. You can get a good one for well under $100. Just make sure it explicitly states that you'll get both the front and rear lens caps (since it's used, you may not get them). KEH is a good place to buy used lenses. Pentax Forums is another.

Oh, and I have a mirrorless camera as well and they are nice. If I was going to have just one system, though, it would be the Pentax.

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow