seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,343
Re: seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Blackburn11 wrote:

I have been wanting to buy a dslr for about 4 years (hard to budget money when buying a house, daycare costs, etc). I will take family pics (4 year old daughter) of camping, zoo, kid sports, indoor family events. Will take occasional video also.

I have a budget of about $1200 and will have a hard time finding more funds for future lenses (and prob will never be able to get a lens over $700ish).

I am thinking the k-30 is the best bang for the buck in this range (though I think nikon will release something the minute I buy!). I love the IQ at higher ISO, the weather sealing, and the large viewfinder.

I am looking for advice on two things. First, I am hoping to get some nice comments about people happy with pentax and that think it is a good system to buy into. There are lots of posts here shooting down pentax and people thinking about changing systems. I dont know if that is just for higher price point cameras or what, but I need some confidence that this system is a good investment (I have considered m4/3 systems as well as canon and nikon systems).

Second, I was considering the 18-135 weather sealed lens and k-30 for $1100 (and a 70-300mm lens in the future). I was also thinking about the 18-55 lens and a 50-200 lens for $930 (and perhaps a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 in the near future).

My wife has the patience of a mosquito and I am worried about having to change lenses. I want this purchase to yield some very sharp images for viewing on a very large monitor and hopefully for some large prints also.

So, any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. I am undecided about everything, so all advice is welcome.

From what you posted, it seemed like that the K30 + 17-50 f2.8 is the go to setup especially with the excellent low light performance of the K30 (ISO 1600 is clean and ISO 3200 is stil very much usable!).

If WR is what you really are looking for, it seems like the 18-55 WR the best choice and add a Samyang 85mm f1.8 there. The IQ of the K30 w/ the focus peaking w/ the sharpness and color rendition of the Samyang could be one of the best setups out there.

Or if you want versatility, portability and lightness, the DA 35 f2.4 or the DA 40 f2.8 Limited is the way to go. You might not believe how light that setup is.

-- hide signature --

It's not about the tool, its how you use it

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow