The E-5 - is it really that crappy?

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eaa Senior Member • Posts: 1,882
The E-5 - is it really that crappy?

It's repeatedly stated as a fact, the E-5 is outdated, with its obsolete and crappy sensor. According to the m4/3 evangelists (which for reasons I cannot fathom seems to hate us 4/3 users), all DSLR tech is dead now (yeah, right!). But is it really that bad? I mean, with the E-5's far superior handling over any m4/3 cam, its brilliant big 100% OVF, let alone having the telecentric native 4/3 HG/SHG lenses perfectly compatible and working? And just for the record: I want its size and heft, m4/3 as of now does not play out for me.

But tech marches on, I know...
And all of us E-5 lovers do want an E-7 w/ OMD innards.

But still, here's a fullres pic from the E-5. Just look at the details, there are lots of them, and they come forward almost like 3D (I mean in the foreground forest, the BG is in a haze and a tad out of DOF). To me this is not bad at all. I mean, have we become spoiled perhaps? Hence I can live w/ the E-5 a little longer, till Oly finally releases a new cam that can utilize the HG/SHGs to their full potential.

Well, here goes... taken with a (according to the aforementioned evangelists) hopelessly outdated camera, with its crappy old sensor, hand held, using a lousy 2-axis IBIS. But still..:

E-5, ZD ED 35-100 @68mm, F7.1, 1/160s IS1, ISO 200, hand held:

-- hide signature --
 eaa's gear list:eaa's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +9 more
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eaa
eaa
(unknown member)
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
eaa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow