seeking some advice regarding a purchase

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,243
Re: again: please do read my post ;-)

Blackburn11 wrote:

I have and intend to keep an hx9v Sony around. It takes great video, but I would like better image quality. But I will have it for video and times when I just want a pocket camera.

Especially at longer focal lengths it gives images that aren't very sharp. Maybe it's me.

The fz200 is a camera that can shoot raw, has low aperture across the zoom, and isn't too bad in low light. So it is appealing. And great video!

Let me ask this. If I look at a 100% crop of a raw image taken with a k-30 w/18-135 lens at 135mm (at say 400 iso) and a 100% crop of a raw image taken at an equivalent focal length at 400 iso with the fz200, am I going to notice a significant difference? In sharpness, resolution, dr, ... Or just overall IQ?

Wish I could just have each system for a week to play with (and a m4/3). To see what the differences really are.

Again, thank you for all your input. It really isi helping me sort through this. Though I do realize its a personal preference and therefore really just something I need to decide on.

Scott, have you played around with the Studio Comparison Tool on this website? I think you can get a feel for the answers to your questions spending a little time there.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare

Plug in the K-30 as your baseline camera and then select others for comparison. Just for fun a moment ago, I compared the K-30 to the Panasonic FZ-150. Click around on the image to get crops of particular segments. You'll see good results for the FZ-150 at ISO 100 but change the ISO to 800 and the differences between cameras start to become more dramatic. Have fun!

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow