Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,429
All modes

creaDVty wrote:

Thanks. As for matrix metering, I agree it doesn't seem to fit the DR within the sensor's range and neither does it do ETTR. I'm beginning to wonder whether, if my goal is to maximize the info available for postprocessing, perhaps a better approach would be to use average metering (one of the options for center-weighted).

Very tricky. There are those that do indeed practice ETTR with every scene as the DR range of current gen sensors has gotten so good. Problem with that is the noise in the shadows when pulled and you get some starting results that look just plane wrong as ETTR is just not always the best solution. I'm starting to think that the "expose for what your really want the first time" might be a better approach or a "hey, I'm going to do it this way today cause I want to" is better.

I'm going to learn how it all really works and then expose the way that makes me happy at that particular moment Striving to be competent in all modes. Good Luck

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow