Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,155
Re: nice Job

creaDVty wrote:

Of note, the three examples using the wall, the FOV of the AF array is actually predominately very close to Zone 5 in all 3.

If you are basing that on the image on the screen I think it might not be accurate because I was using a low-contrast neutral picture style, so the scene's tones are artificially compressed.

Possible but the histograms and the blinkies are based on the scene as rendered given the picture control applied in ViewNX. If your picture being displayed is with Neutral PC then the CS6 check should be close.....if I understand it correctly and that's a big if.

In test shot one and test shot two of your son on the playground apparatus...note that the FOV of both AF arrays is very close to zone five in both (red is zone five most often)

Yes that was my intention (that's why I picked those samples, even though the shots sucked) and indeed the subject was rendered correctly. The d600 does a pretty good job of that. It's the rest of the scene that I'm worried about. I mean if the sensor does have the range to cover the whole scene yet the camera insists on a metering that is correct for the subject but pushes the brighter tones outside that range, that is something I need to be aware of.

I would look at the raw data before concluding the highlights are truly blown....Also, I would note that matrix metering may not be trying to keep things inside the cameras DR as a priority. That's an assumption I think not true. You can look at scenes with nothing below zone 5 and get a feel for it. The programmers intent with many of the 300,000 plus scenes is not intuitively obvious to me...but it does get it pretty darn right very often.

You hit upon what we know... the D600 like the D7000, seems geared towards shooting RAW and not like the D5100 which seem geared towards shooting jpeg (in default setup).

Well I think from the example below that (my son in the living room), the D600 is not really doing ETTR.

Correct.

It just seems that way because of the scene's highlights and the D600's seemingly wide highlight range - see the comment from mshafik who articulated it better than me. My guess is that the D600 seems to be trying to get the subject exposed correctly, without much regard for highlights.

Scene dependent....but no, I don't think they had a strict ETTR mentality when designing Matrix algorithms. Surprising though how many times it does seem to protect the highlight detail (when examing the RAW).

Thanks for your time and work.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow