Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
creaDVty
OP creaDVty Senior Member • Posts: 1,265
Re: nice Job

Of note, the three examples using the wall, the FOV of the AF array is actually predominately very close to Zone 5 in all 3.

If you are basing that on the image on the screen I think it might not be accurate because I was using a low-contrast neutral picture style, so the scene's tones are artificially compressed.

In test shot one and test shot two of your son on the playground apparatus...note that the FOV of both AF arrays is very close to zone five in both (red is zone five most often)

Yes that was my intention (that's why I picked those samples, even though the shots sucked) and indeed the subject was rendered correctly. The d600 does a pretty good job of that. It's the rest of the scene that I'm worried about. I mean if the sensor does have the range to cover the whole scene yet the camera insists on a metering that is correct for the subject but pushes the brighter tones outside that range, that is something I need to be aware of.

You hit upon what we know... the D600 like the D7000, seems geared towards shooting RAW and not like the D5100 which seem geared towards shooting jpeg (in default setup).

Well I think from the example below that (my son in the living room), the D600 is not really doing ETTR. It just seems that way because of the scene's highlights and the D600's seemingly wide highlight range - see the comment from mshafik who articulated it better than me. My guess is that the D600 seems to be trying to get the subject exposed correctly, without much regard for highlights.
--
http://www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com

TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Stylus 1 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow