Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,556
I would loose

creaDVty wrote:

Hi eNo. I know how to spot meter and I understand its reliability. However, it is usually not feasible for my kind of subjects (moving around a lot, rapidly changing light conditions from outdoor sunlight to outdoor shadow to indoor, etc. etc.).

Matrix meter does a pretty good job most of the time. When the scene starts to fall outside average and your intentions change from what the programers programed though...matrix becomes less desired. You also use AF-Area mode "auto" so have less control over focus point bias as it may use multiple points.

Those who use spot meter and fine control of focus point often get very fast at getting accurate/consistent exposure (regards their intention for the scene). Combine that with fine control regards AE-L and and/or AF-on and speed and accuracy regards setting exposure can indeed exceed what matrix alone is capable of in difficult scenes. Your black car example is one.

I would not bet my house in a contest of good and fast exposure with me using matrix and AF-Area mode "Auto" against eNo doing his thing. I would loose

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow