D600 dust or oil on sensor

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
evalf Junior Member • Posts: 28
D600 dust or oil on sensor

I've had my D600 for 4 days, tonight I was shooting some night shots on a tripod with a high apperture when I noticed some dark spots, always at the same location on the pictures.

Back home I shot a wall at maximum apperture, which revealed even more spots, most of them on the left side of the sensor. I ran a few sensor cleans but it didn't change anything. I had a look at the sensor but nothing was apparent to the naked eye.

After reading about people having oil on their D7000 and D800 sensors I decided to run a few hundred shots to see if there was any change. Well actually it ended being almost a thousand shots (it goes really quick in continuous high speed release mode). As you can see from the album below many more spots appeared after during the first 500 or so shots, but then it seems that the spots mostly moved around a little without many new ones.

I'm wondering what to do about this. I live in Hong Kong, where the customer protection is not what it is in the west. Simply returning the camera is not an option. I think the chances of getting an exchange at the store are very slim. If I could get an exchange though, would I be likely to get another camera with the exact same problem, or did I get really unlucky with mine?

Another option would be to go directly to the Nikon service center (there are two within 30 minutes of my place). As things did seem to not get worse in the last 500 shots, I'm hoping that this was some sort of "breaking in" that was happening and that hopefully there shouldn't be a lot more new spots appearing in the future. Can the Nikon service center do anything to actually prevent more stuff being deposited on the sensor, or can they only clean the sensor?

I'd be very interested in hearing from other members that had a similar issue with their D7000 or D800, as well as if others are having similar problems with their D600.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow