Is shallow DOF a phase? asking for advice on my future photography

Started Sep 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
skxogus Forum Member • Posts: 94
Is shallow DOF a phase? asking for advice on my future photography

Hi guys,

I have been into photography for the past 2 1/2 years and with immense gear envy, I hopped onto FX about 9 month ago (before D800 announcements). Everything I shoot is for myself, church, family and I haven't dipped my hands into any professional shoots as of yet. Just to give a quick intro about my style of shooting, I have been in love with shallow DOF since the beginning. I know that for portraits, with the exception of environmental portraits, shallow DOF is the way to go, but I like shooting other objects with shallow DOF as well. Posted are 6 of my shots all from this year.

My question is, is shallow DOF a phase people go through? I noticed that excessively shallow DOF has started to look "bad" in my eyes, and I am slowly noticing that my f stop is going from f1.4 to f1.8 to f4. Yet, I still absolutely love the subject isolation I get with it. How do you guys feel? Is this just a phase? or is my brain just wired to like these types of photos more. Thank you for your time!

Feel free to comment/criticize any of these pictures as well. The more I learn, the better I"ll become.

skxogus's gear list:skxogus's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow