Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
creaDVty
OP creaDVty Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
Re: Good learning tool

Mako2011 wrote:

creaDVty wrote:

Not a method to meter every day family shots... but if the goal is to write an article about how the D600 meters, then an accurate and consistent method might provide better data.

I consider myself a practical guy, so I test it the way I use it. It may not be the way others use it and the way I use it might not be the best practice, so perhaps what I should have done is clarify that my test is specifically for the way I use it therefore ymmv.

I can see what you're saying. In that way then the camera did overexpose based on what you thought it was metering on. In actuality though, it did not overexpose based on the actual subject under the focus point regards matrix metering.

If I understand you correctly, what you're teaching me is that the location of the focus point will cause the camera to meter for the object in focus, and will meter that object as a midtone. My understanding of matrix metering had been that it meters the entire scene but is biased to "pay more attention to" the object being metered and make sure that object is correctly metered (not necessarily a midtone).

The reason the scene looks overexposed is not due to a tendency for the camera to meter hot but a technique the lends itself to overexposure in that specific situation.

Hm perhaps you're right. One thing though is that when I do the same technique with my S5, it does the opposite -- it often tends to underexpose. So the same technique is leading to opposite results with 2 cameras, which leads me to think it's not the technique but an inherent tendency of the camera (or perhaps, an apparent tendency of the camera based on the improper technique I'm using).

Best regards,
Mic
--
http://www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com

TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Stylus 1 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow