Second D800 from Amazon with the AF issue

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tony Bonanno Contributing Member • Posts: 955
It is NOT a scratch. Perfectly normal...

I've been working with several D800/800E's acquired at different times and widely varying serial numbers. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the AF issue. Most of the cameras I've tested have it to some degree, but not a deal killer in any of them. We use the cameras with the center AF point most of the time and they are all dead on. I'm not sure I'd bother with continuing the "exchange" exercise. At some point Nikon will have it figured out (perhaps they already do) and when the cameras go in for annual service, will get the AF issues tweaked then.

ALSO, the "scratch" you refer to IS NOT A SCRATCH. It looks like one, but it is actually the edge of the secondary AF mirror module UNDERNEATH the main mirror that you are seeing. It is visible. And yes, it has created a lot of horror with new camera buyers putting a lens on and seeing this awful scratch on their new camera mirror :). It is not a defect. Perfectly normal.

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP General member.
http://www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Nikon D850 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow