Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,155
For experiment

creaDVty wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

I mean you checked after the shot. Nothing wrong with that. I'm only suggesting that one meter the mid tone and check the highlights with the meter before the shot. Just a different approach to metering and handy when doing comparison testing like this.

So if I understand correctly, when you say check the highlights with the meter, you're saying I should spot meter a relevant highlight to see how far above zone V it is? If that is what you're saying, that is of course very accurate but wouldn't work for my style of shooting which is very fast (I usually shoot my kids). As it is, my wife complains that I take too long to adjust the camera when I shoot (and usually I'm just fiddling with ambient/flash balance) :).

Not a method to meter every day family shots... but if the goal is to write an article about how the D600 meters, then an accurate and consistent method might provide better data.

One note....the 4800FX AF unit is based on the 4800DX unit. snip.

Thanks I will look into this.

It called mapping out the AF-arrays in relation to your view finder. The exercise can be very helpful in improving AF techniques regards a specific body. As an example..here is a rough map of my AF sensors (purple) as they compare to my view finder focus boxes (red). Understanding orientation and size gains some extra understanding of what may or may not be a good target. Good Luck

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow