Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

Started Sep 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
creaDVty
OP creaDVty Senior Member • Posts: 1,265
Re: Experiments with Nikon D600 exposure - seems too aggressive

u007 wrote:

However, with the samples you posted I think you pretty much got what you asked for. Shooting a black car, the camera sees black and purposefully tries to make it grey. For a black car filling most of the frame, I would know to tell the camera -1eV at least.

For my older cameras, I would indeed dial the EV down for a dark-toned subject. For the D600, I was testing to see if the camera had a smarter exposure meter that could correctly guess that I was shooting a dark-toned subject. How might it do that? Given that there was a white object in the scene, it could have said, hey there's this object that's really bright, and there's this object that is much darker. Perhaps the bright object is white and the dark object is black.

You'd need some sort of HDR to manage all of that dynamic range within a single shot.

Well, I hope no one shoots me for saying this, but my approach would have been to underexpose the scene sufficiently to not blow the sky, then bring up the exposure for the midtones in post. It appeared from the histogram that there was still a lot of room left in the shadow side.

Personally, I don't mind blown highlights if my subject is exposed how I want it. But if you would prefer to always be conservative and preserve highlights at all costs, you can set that as an option by reconfiguring the meter to underexpose (at least in the d800).

I used to not care so much about blown highlights but now I care about it a lot because in my opinion blown highlights make a shot look clearly digital instead of similar to film. That is why I still love my S5. I was hoping that with the D600's tremendous shadow recovery, I could intentionally underexpose to preserve highlights then bring up the exposure without too much noise.

As for biasing the meter yes the D600 has that feature as well. I've avoided doing that until now because I feel it is like surrendering some control but maybe that is the right thing to do.

Best regards,
Mic

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Stylus 1 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow