Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,040
Canon Executive explains why 6D has only one X point

imaging-resource just published the interview with the guy

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/09/20/qa-with-canons-mike-owen-behind-the-scenes-in-developing-the-6D-and-whats

Dave Etchells/Imaging Resource: I guess we might as well start out with the 6D. Obviously, that's the big news. There's been some discussion online about the 6D having a smaller number of AF points than previous Canon DSLRs and, in particular, the single cross-type sensor in the middle. Is there a downside to offering more cross-type points or is it a cost issue? Is it a matter of product differentiation among your line?

Mike Owen/Canon: It's a variety of reasons, really. I mean, yes, there is the cost side of things, but what we've tried to do with the autofocus system on the 6D is to actually improve low-light performance. It goes down to EV -3. So when emphasizing low-light performance, we've always had to make elements of the AF system larger, which limits our ability to put in more cross-type points.

DE: So it's a conscious design decision. You really wanted to emphasize low light.

MO: Yes, absolutely. It was a decision that we felt that this type of camera in this particular user group, auto focus performance is not 100% critical. But low-light performance for autofocus is important. And it's just about that trade off.

(interview continuous about other issues)

So I guess he is saying to make the ELEMENTS OF AF SYSTEM LARGER FOR BETTER LOW LIFE, THEY COULD ONLY FIT 1 Xpoint.... hmmmmm

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
B E
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
B E
B E
(unknown member)
MM1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow