CP4500 has a RAW mode!

Started Jan 21, 2003 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
AnthonyY New Member • Posts: 10
Re: It works on 995 to ...

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I've been experimenting with this new found feature (thank you Alex and paul69!) on a 995 I modified for taking IR pictures (it's a US model with firmware 1.7 installed, too, warranty is thoroughly voided :-). It's a little tricky because I'm using a Mac computer. I'm converting the raw files to NEF using Virtual PC and using the demo version of Nikon Capture to play around with the resulting NEF files. I have tried NC with a D100 NEF, but without having tried NC with a bonafide 5700 NEF file, I don't know if there is normally a big difference in processing these two types of NEFs, but here are some shortcomings I see:

• NC wants to process the file twice when I first open it.

• Some metadata is missing (i.e. exposure information, etc.)

• Preset white balance is not preserved.

• Setting white balance via a gray point does not work. Instead of getting an eyedropper, I get a red circle with a line through it.

• Each change raw adjustment requires a complete reprocessing of the data whereas changes to a D100 NEF can be seen immediately.

• A NEF for a picture taken in black and white mode is not processed into a black and white image. It results in a color image with odd color blowouts.

The good news is that I can, with a little work, obtain a 12-bit image and have the freedom to adjust contrast to my liking.

If there is anyway I can help out in this endeavour, let me know. One thing I would like to do is play around with an actual 5700 NEF. If anyone can point me to one, I would really appreciate it.

Anthony

DanVac wrote:
Yes I was. But there are some troubles. See this

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=4240269

with the raw2nef converter
http://e2500.narod.ru/raw2nef.htm

and nikon capture (trial dwnloaded from nikon) you can work with
raw files

Dan

Ed Rotberg wrote:

Dan,

Did you get anywhere with this? Have you been able to use the RAW
format with your 995? Inquiring minds want to know...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JWL
JWL
JWL
JWL
RPK
lsz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow