Lack of interest in E-PM2/E-PL5?

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,223
Lack of interest in E-PM2/E-PL5?

I counted only a handful of threads out of the past 200 giving mention to these two cameras announced just two days ago. It felt eerily similar to the G5 intro which also received a deafening silence. I personally found them anti-climatic, and wonder if others are left feeling the same.

This is in part due to mis-quoted MSRP's ($400 and $600 on 43Rumors vs. the actual $600 and $700), no fault of Olympus'. But it's also due to apparent lack of improvements to the IBIS of their predecessors, continued use of 16:9 LCD's yielding a tiny 2.3" image in native 4:3 format, compounded by an actual reduction in resolution in same.

I own an E-PM1 (along with a couple of Olympus DSLR's), and had planned to upgrade primarily for the E-M5 sensor. Had they remedied usable screen size, fixed the IBIS (maybe they have) and held MSRP at $500 this would have been a no-brainer.

But given the $100 MSRP increase and lack of improvements to IBIS and screen size, I'll likely opt instead for an E-M5 that puts all the pieces together in a better built body. Maybe this was their plan all along ;)?

Still two appealing cams, just not enough of a compelling reason to upgrade.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AG
AG
AG
LTM
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow