Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Richard Innes Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Thanks. I'll definitely take a look at the some of those wider lenses, but might be a few months before I make the decision. No rush with these things.

I have read a lot about the 24-70 f2.8II and it looks amazing - but SO expensive at the moment, maybe it will come down with time.

Will also certainly be considering the 70-200mm lens. Does anyone have experience with these two lenses, I'm guessing the f2.8 version is much better, but anyone used the f4 version as given they are both L lenses and the f4 is half the price, might be worth considering?

Thanks.

A Owens wrote:

Richard Innes wrote:

Hello,

....... This will be my main walkaround and just interested in people impressions of both of them.

Richard, I concur that the 24-105 is a very useful lens and an excellent first choice. Perhaps pair it up with a modestly priced fast prime; 50mm/F1.4 or 1.8, 85mm/F1.8 or 100mm/F2 - all modestly priced excellent performers, not the latest but excellent nonetheless. Choose your focal length.

Over time add a 70-200 (F4 or F2.8, can't go wrong).

Add a 24-70/F2.8II once the price has dropped in a year or two.

The ultra-wide is not so easy. Many like the 17-40/F4 or the 16-35/F2.8 but I cannot help but feel one or both of these are due for a refresh. You could look at the Samyang (spelling?) 14mm/F2.8 as an interim measure. Seems like a good lens at a great price.

Good luck whichever way you go!

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.
D300 and all the gubbins...

Richard Innes's gear list:Richard Innes's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow