Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
nekrosoft13 Regular Member • Posts: 451
Re: Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Great choice Richard

Keep in mind that 90% of people promoting D600 or D800 (and bashing 5DIII or 6D) are those people that never tried one, and just read BS on the web.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase!!!

24-105 is my most used lens

Just to give you some ideas also have:

Canon 50 1.4 - small light prime, was trying to replace it for Sigma 50 1.4, after trying 4 copies of sigma can't find one that focus like the canon
Sigma 85 1.4 - excellent lens!
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS - excellent zoom, had to send it to Sigma once
Canon 100-400L - excellent zoom

Thinking about replacing both 70-200 and 100-400 with that new Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS.

Anyway, enjoy your new camera.

Richard Innes wrote:

Thanks for all the advice - very much appreciated. I can see both sides of the coin, but I have made a decision.

Last night I ordered, a Canon 5D mk3, a 24-105mm L f/4 and the Speedlite 430EX II flash. Should be arriving before the weekend. Very excited. Although some feel its an odd choice to move nikon to canon, I did my research (a lot!) and for the type of photos I take (mainly carry around travel photography) the 5D3 is the best camera for me.

Now to start saving for a longer telephoto to go with the 24-105.... any advice?

If you need very high resolution AND higher DR, get the D800. If you need a faster camera with a much better AF, get the Canon.. Very simple..

If you shoot people, 5DIII. If you shoot in RAW, DEFIANTLY 5DIII

The only reason I did not buy a D800 is no smaller RAW.. AND the AF...

Richard Innes wrote:

Thanks guys for all the advice. I am pretty confused now though Was pretty sure I was ready to make the mk3 plunge - but have to say its slightly disconcerting to see so many people on a canon forum saying "dont do it - stick with Nikon"......

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.

-- hide signature --

Richard, London, UK.
D300 and all the gubbins...

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow