Full frame anybody?

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Re: Full frame anybody?

FF isn't all roses. The D600 is an amazing camera. Actually all the FF bodies are immensely capable as are all recent DSLRs and mirrorless. My personal bias is that I think it comes down to your style and knowing well what you like in a camera and what your shooting situation is. If you shoot regularly for money, DSLRs are probably better as a system, though m43 is basically there now with the EM5 and GH3.

Hybrid stills and video: GH3 is a winner. EM5 is also a winner with the IBIS and fast primes.

DOF control: This is still the domain of FF. Even with fast glass on M43, I prefer the separation I can get with say 135/2 on FF. But that's a very specific thing, and I could in reality live without it.

The tradeoff often boils down to the fact that m43 is smaller and lighter at the expense of IQ. You essentially trade IQ for having the camera with you more often. So it's not marketed this way, but in practice many of us find that m43 provides more opportunities because we are more likely to go out the door with the camera. If you will take you camera with you regardless of the size of the kit, then FF wins of course. But it's never that easy is it?

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow