Upgrade: Win 8 or Linux

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,272
A problem with either option. . .

Is that your legacy apps are likely to be unusable with either OS. So a change to either means an app upgrade for Windows or totally new apps for Linux. This may or may not be a major issue for you, but it IS something you need to consider.

I believe the 'professional' versions of Windows 7 and up have an XP compatibility mode which if I've read the reviews correctly is not 100% compatible. And there are Linux based XP emulators (Wine, et al), but if you are going to emulate XP, my opinion is why not stay with XP?

I have no dog in this hunt. So I won't presume to steer you in one direction or another, but if you have important apps that can't be updated to a newer version or replaced, you might want to investigate this sort of compatibility issues.
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow