Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
g_r_w Regular Member • Posts: 385
Boring day for an E-M5 user

Yesterday had a spate of announcements:

• GH3

• New PENs

• 10 lens announcements

Yet for some reason, I almost found myself bored enough to convince myself into buying a GF5. So why was I left feeling so ho-hum yesterday? Let me break it down.

GH3 announcement

For an E-M5 user that isn’t interested in video, there is nothing really to suggest that it will offer anything more for the photographer than the E-M5. I doubt that there will be anything in the sensor performance that would make it a compelling upgrade.

New PENs announcement

The new PENs don’t really offer anything for an E-M5 user, they’re not that much more portable, in fact I find it hard pressed to have an E-PM and E-PL line at the moment. They’re almost the same size and the difference in price is negligible once you’re investing in lenses.

10 lenses

• 3 of them were for Schneider, none of those float my boat (that’s just me)

• Panasonic 42.5 and 150, they’re road-mapped, theoretically they may never see the light of day.

• Black Olympus 12mm, it’s not a lens I was that interested in in the first place for its price and it still isn’t even though it is now available in black

• Olympus 60mm macro – this might be interesting if I didn’t have the PL45 already, which I rarely use.

• Olympus 15mm pancake – not going to touch this.

• Olympus 17mm – this IS actually note-worthy to me, except that it doesn’t have a price or availability. It will surely be better than the original in terms of quality.

• Panasonic 35-100 – I’ve known about this for a long time, so it really has no WOW factor anymore.

I’d made a deal with myself that if there was nothing of interest, I’d get the GF5 so that I could have a more portable set up. Fortunately, I came to my senses. There is really nothing wrong with the GF5 except that it would have been a somewhat pointless purchase.

• I already have an E-M5, it seriously isn’t that much bigger once you factor in the lenses you’ll carry. I’d rather keep the boost in performance.

• If you’re going to go MORE portable than m43, go truly pocketable.

At the end of the day, I may have just talked myself into an RX100.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow