6D is proof that Canon has lost it...

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcochran Senior Member • Posts: 1,180
Re: 6D is proof that Canon has lost it...

I waited a long time for Canon to replace the 5D Mark II which needed some improvement in hopes of someday owning a Canon full frame camera. Alas, when the 5D Mark III finally came out with some significant improvements, it was priced much too high for my pocketbook. Not a complaint, just facing reality. Now I am somewhat disappointed in the 6D and would rather have had a little more expensive FF camera introduced than to have a FF at $2099 just to try and compete cost wise if not feature wise with Nikon's new entries. In moving from my 60D to a 6D FF and losing built in flash, 1/8000 shutter speed, articulated screen, 1/250 flash sync, and all cross type focusing sensors, I would be losing features that are much more important to me than gaining GPS or Wi Fi but realize others may feel differently. At least with no buttons on the left side of the camera it seems an articulated screen would be physically possible. In my opinion, those new features do nothing to improve image quality or camera functionality which to me is more what photography is about. I think all of those 60D lost features could have been incorporated into an entry level FF at a price point at least equal to the original price of the 5D Mark II when introduced. Canon seems to be one of the few tech companies that cannot offer more for the same or lower price than previous models. And, at approximately $1000 less than the 5D Mark III would probably not do a great deal of damage to the III's sales. The fact that it has incorporated HDR implies to me they haven't done much to improve dynamic range in what some people think and hope might be an improved sensor. Maybe the successor to the 6D will look a little better to me because I am certainly not buying old technology in today's 6D or the 5D II just to have a FF camera. As just an avid hobbyist I am not about to switch to another camera company but I am also not going to be in any big hurry to buy any of Canon's new offerings, lenses or bodies. I am getting on in years and am overwhelmed at what can be done today with digital cameras and computers---it is like photographer heaven for me. I grew up with Canon 35mm film cameras, filled my own film canisters, developed my own film, printed and enlarged my own photos (B&W). What a mess and allot of work it was. To me, my 60D is a technological marvel that I should be satisfied with but I just can't get beyond wanting a full frame camera. I know it is not going to make me a better photographer, but real or imagined I think 35mm somehow makes a difference in the final image; on screen and in print. The features of the 6d are just disappointing to me and I feel Canon must be directing this camera at someone other than a long time loyal Canon camera buyer looking for an affordable full frame that doesn't eliminate features they are used to and cost very little to implement.

-- hide signature --
 jcochran's gear list:jcochran's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
MM1
RR6
TKW
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow