6D is proof that Canon has lost it...

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dylthedog Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: I'm sorry, I don't get it...

Skip M wrote:

For months, drivel on this forum has focused on a $2000 full frame camera, for years a vocal number of people here have been screaming at Canon for not including GPS, and latterly Wi-Fi, in DSLRs and now Canon produces a camera that addresses all of that and all anyone can do is whine??? Ok, yeah, I'm disappointed in the paucity of AF points and lack of articulated LCD, but "Canon has lost it?" "We used to be proud of Canon?" Really??? Aren't ya'll overreacting just a tad? In this day and age, trailing a competitor 20mp to 24mp isn't a big deal, 4.5 fps isn't that much less than 5.5 fps (Canon had to do something to separate it in this spec from the 5D3.) and it does include the aforementioned GPS and Wi-Fi that the Nikon doesn't. Overpriced? Hardly, in light of the same price of a similar camera from Nikon and the higher pricing of all other full frame options. It's right where it should be. (Maybe it's the 7D that's underpriced? )

No, it's not a camera I'm going to buy right now, even for a backup, mainly because of the single cross point, but it ain't that bad a camera. Really it isn't.
--
Skip M

You can work around no wifi. You can work around no inbuilt GPS. You can do HDR with most cams (and a tripod).

You can't, however, sort out missed focus. And while 20MP when using the full frame is insignificant compared 24MP, when you only have the centre point to track a moving subject and then have to crop that to make it framed properly you're down (possibly) to an effective 12MP. That does make a difference.

Canon could have included 9 or 11 cross type points without affecting 5D3 sales and this would have been a much more competitive camera.

They also don't have the EFS/EF flexibly that Nikon has with its lens range which makes it harder for APC Canon shooters to upgrade. Canon should work harder if only for that reason.

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
MM1
RR6
TKW
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow