6D is proof that Canon has lost it...

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
trueview Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: Canon truly stinks now

I have no real interest in the 6D, having a 5dIII, but I would like to share a story with all those here predicting the demise of Canon or criticizing its lack of understanding of the market. Back when the 5dII came out, I was thoroughly disappointed, as it didn't fix the main weakness of the 5Dc in my opinion, it's subpar AF. The added resolution and movie capability for me was strictly unnecessary. Based on that I grumpily predicted that the 5DII would be a commercial failure.

It was, as we all know, an all time best seller.

Conclusion : canon's priority was not to serve my own personal -vitally important, from my perspective- needs, but the need of the largest segment of users. This was a harsh blow to my ego, but thankfully I have overcome the trauma

The theory expressed here that canon has been caught off guard by the D600 is simply laughable. Companies such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc all practice economic intelligence. The development of a new model involves too many people to make it a completely confidential process. Also, every single model development starts with a thorough, large scale market study. As these studies are carried on the same typology of population sample, with the same approaches, tools, methods, etc, they tend to yield the same results / conclusions. It is not entirely unrealistic that the market for a budget full frame camera was determined by both canon and Nikon's upstream marketing services, more or less at the same time.

Which doesn't mean that I find the 6d an attractive offer. Actually I would not want to go back to its AF module, having experienced it in the 5Dc. But betting on its commercial failure ? That would mean I'm a marketing genius, while all the people working in Canon's marketing dept are idiots. A very gratifying thought, but I'm not sure I want to risk money on it

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
MM1
MM1
RR6
TKW
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow