What if Canon stopped gelding firmware?
1. Allowed all EF cameras to self calibrate their focus.
2. Allowed all EF cameras to self calibrate their lenses.
3. Allowed all EF cameras to upgrade lens firmware.
4. Allowed one pixel to be the Circle Of Confusion.
5. Allowed f/8 autofocus without guarantees.
6. Allowed AF confirmation on MF lenses without chips.
7. Retrofitted the new AF loop to older cameras.
8. Retrofitted the new AF loop to older lenses.
9. Documented EXIF.
After all, the camera is a computer. Other than radically increasing
the value of our cameras for almost no effort, why not?