Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ossme Contributing Member • Posts: 828
Re: Nikon to Canon switch - 5D3 lense choice

Richard Innes wrote:

Hello,

Been a Nikon user for the last 15 years (mainly their better amateur cameras - D300 latest), and now finally decided to upgrade to a full frame camera. Although the D800 is impressive, I think I've kind of fallen for the 5D Mark III in terms of its overall performance and particularly the video performance.

Given I'm moving up in the camera world, I want to start investing in some decent glass to go with my new purchase. Any fast lenses I've previously owned (i.e. f2.8 throughout) have come from the Tamron and Sigma families due to cost.

Have you considered Nikon's D600 ? You wan't sell your glass this way.

However, I want to go Canon own lenses now, and I'm toying between the 24-105 L f4.0 lens and the 17-55mm f/2.8. They both come in at similar prices (or appear to where I have looked online).

This will be my main walkaround and just interested in people impressions of both of them.

(The new 24-70mm looks amazing but bit out of my price range given the amount I'm about to spend on the mk3.......)

The 17-55mm F/2.8 is not a Full Frame lens. Therefore, it won't work with the 5d mark III. Your alternative is the Canon 24-70mm F2.8 original . If you shoot alot of video then the Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC will be a good choice because of the image stabilization.

ossme's gear list:ossme's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow