Full frame anybody?

Started Sep 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Optical1
Optical1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
Re: Full frame anybody?

Anders W wrote:

Rjansenbr2 wrote:

I have just got a new OM-D and I am really pleased with the images it can produce.

Also the camera is small (althought not pocketable) and very sturdy and nice to use.

I was pretty much convinced that the m43 clearly won the trade off in size x quality against apc-s Dslrs.

But now with the new Nikon D600, I am having some doubts. Will the trade off between size x quality be also justifiable? Why build up an expensive lens system around a m43, if you can get full frame? I know its more expensive, but not that much anymore...

BTW a really like the OM-D but are you also having second thoughts?

It was clear already about a year and a half ago, when I made the transition from an APS-C DSLR to MFT that going FF was for the first time not out of the reckoning on purely economic grounds. Nevertheless, I decided against it.

One way of thinking about the problem that helped me is the following. I have a weight limit for what I want to carry in terms of gear. As an amateur photographer, I for the most part take pictures where I go rather than go places to get a picture.

This limit is not really lower now than it used to be. In the film days, I usually took my SLR body plus two primes (35/1.9 and 85/1.8). In the APS-C DSLR days, I usually took my DSLR plus two zooms (17-70/2.8-4.5 plus 70-300/4-5.6). With MFT, I can for the first time carry five or six lenses (both zooms and primes) along with the body. If I were to go FF, at this stage, I'd probably have to make do with a single, not very fast, standard zoom.

The MFT solution packs a lot more versatility in my bag, which in the end provides higher image quality within the restrictions set by my weight limit.

This is exactly how I feel about m43 vs APS-C vs FF. it would take a system similar in size and weight for me to consider switching systems. The RX1 is compelling, but with a fixed lens and external EVF, it's not for me. I would really like to see a FF mirrorless in a similar size to the NEX-6 with an integrated EVF and some killer small primes.

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow