Sony user considering switching to Pentax

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Ark84 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Sony user considering switching to Pentax

miles green wrote:

Ark84 wrote:

Video is not really big on my list, if it was then yeah I would probably stick with Sony.

Reason I'd like to switch is the lens lineup on the Sony side is quite poor, especially at the wide angle side. I already have the Sigma 10-20 which I've been using, but I'd prefer more a selection of prime lenses.

I've looked at the Sony 11-18 and doesn't seem to be too popular. Sigma 10-20 seemed like a better choice, but again Id prefer a prime over the zooms.

The pentax primes are excellent! And easy to travel with. But my sigma 8-16 and Samyang 8mm fisheye are in UWA duty.

I have both the Lee 100mm Square holder and Polariser, are you saying these won't fit the DA15?

They'll fit, but one of the nicest things of the limiteds it their size. Sure if you want to use ND grads, but i'd also get a 49mm polarizer. It's why i'd like to add the 15 to my lens collection.

At first my head was saying go Nikon, but my heart thinks Pentax. The new D600 looks interesting, but in the UK the prices aren't all that good, the D800 is only £200 more, so not too compelling. I did like the look of the D300s, but looks quite old now.

I don't think the old sensor in the D300s has the DR of newer sensors. It's a huge asset for landscapes. The K5 (IIs) is top rated for that, like the d7000, d800. Donno about the d600.

For that reason really, I think sticking with APS-C is the best choice and the K5IIs looks the be the best camera in that class.

Especially when you consider that all those primes will be stabilized. Of course you'll get more resolution with a bigger sensor.

Sony seem to do quite a bit of amazing stuff, but I think there DSLR/T line always seems to come last. They've released more DSLT cameras than lenses in the last couple of years. A99 is way overpriced here and the lens lineup would be even less, I think like 8 lenses are compatible with the A99.

That zeiss 24 though... Stabilized on the A99....

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

Thx for the reply, really helpful.

Yeah that Zeiss 24 was the one lens that really stuck out to me on the Sony system. But just one lens isn't gonna keep me in the A-Mount system.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow