Need input from former a900/a850 users re: d800

Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davidkachel Regular Member • Posts: 334
Need input from former a900/a850 users re: d800

I admit I am tempted by shiny objects, so I have to temper myself and proceed cautiously.

I have a Sony a900 which, thanks to Sony's "innovation", is regrettably my last Sony camera. (The a99 proves that Sony is a dead end for me.)

Since I have no upgrade path with Sony, I am forced to switch to Nikon. My question is: do I jump now or later?

My hesitation is based purely on image quality. I am a B&W landscape photographer. A tripod is a permanent part of my camera and I never, ever use an ISO higher than 800, and that only in dire emergencies. I manipulate the he** out of my images, such that the Sony file size and resolution are the absolute bare minimum for me and are often over the edge in the wrong direction. I could definitely use more detail and a bigger megapixel count.

So, I ask d800 users who are former Sony FF users:

In your opinion, will I gain enough to make it worthwhile jumping to the d800 now, or would I be better off waiting for the next iteration of the d800 (d850, or whatever they will call it)?

-- hide signature --

People who utter the phrase 'I have a good eye' should be beaten to death with their
cameras... being careful to leave a corpse with one good eye!

Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow