Published: Our Sony SLT-A57 review

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
NPPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,084
Re: Hey Nick

Deleted!

cgarrard wrote:

If you are going to comment on my comments at least get the facts straight. I never called him stupid, that was the word that came out of your mouth. And its a double standard you take insulting me then being upset that you assumed that I insulted someone else that JUST insulted DPR's staff.

You have to be freaking kidding me.

The world isn't all your own way is it, that gives you a boo boo face. I see that you never replied to my PM to another nasty comment you made although I tried to reach out to you like a gentleman and keep it off the forums.

Who's condescending now?

Carl

NPPhoto wrote:

When a review comes out, people have a tendency to look at it with their point of view. Whatever that view maybe. But, what I don't like is someone coming to DPR's rescue and putting someone down in a condescending manner asking them if they are stupid enough to not "get" the award system DPR has.

It is DPR's place to come to their own defense and help understand a viewer about their review and awarding system.

chlamchowder wrote:

Way to suck up, I mean come to DPR's aid. They must need a spokesperson so badly to defend themselves.

Of course, it'd be great if reviewers put their reviews out really quickly. It'd also be great if reviewers would spend a significant amount of time to become acquainted with the product and getting a feel for how it handles in a wide variety of situations.

However, these two ideals are in direct conflict: If a review is put out quickly, the reviewer didn't spend much time with the camera, or is basing the review mostly off a pre-production example. Spending more time with the camera isn't desirable because people want to know how new products perform so that purchasing decisions can be made. So what should DPR choose?

I think there's a third option, which is to put down a fairly detailed review quickly (from a pre-production example). Then, keep using the production model, and add or change the initial review periodically. That way, people anxious to read a review would be happy, and people interested in seeing how a camera handles in the long term would also be satisfied (the waiting part is inevitable, though - it takes time to get experience).

Also, whenever I see quick positive reviews of new cameras, I wonder whether the reviewers suffer from the 'new toy' syndrome. Whenever I handle a new camera (that doesn't have obvious flaws), I always think it's awesome for the first few months. I might even praise it in front of other people. After using it for a while, though, I become less forgiving as the 'new toy' effect wears off. I wonder if the same happens with reviewers.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ET2
ET2
ET2
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow