Sony user considering switching to Pentax

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,138
Re: Sony user considering switching to Pentax

Ark84 wrote:

Hey guys, I'm currently debating switching to Pentax from Sony. Since the A99 was a bit of a let-down and really overpriced here in the UK, I'm looking to switch. I was gonna go with the A77 after seeing the A99 price, but now thinking about sticking with my A55 until I've decided what's best.

Luckily I only have a few lenses invested in Sonys A-Mount. So now I have the choice of either selling the A55 and lenses or keeping them has a backup? Any thoughts?

I know if I sell the Sony stuff then I have more to put towards some DA primes, but I'm in no rush to sell the Sony stuff has I will already have enough to fund a body and a couple of lenses.

I'm currently looking to get a K5IIs since I mostly shoot landscapes and the DA15 prime.

The DA primes really interest me and will be looking to get more after the initial purchase.
If anyone has any ideas were to go after the DA15, that would be great?
I was thinking 15, 70 then 35 and then the rest later?

Depends on what you like. The DA 35 mm f/2.4 and 50 mm f/1.8 are the cheap lenses. The DA 35 mm f/2.4 is a very sharp lens corner to corner. Not as fast as an f/1.8 lens, but generally better performing across the frame. These two are cheaply constructed lenses, but still work well enough. They don't feel like the limited lenses though

Build quality wise the DA 35 mm f/2.8 Macro is a lot better and focuses to 1:1. The 40 mm f/2.8 is a nice limited pancake. The 70 is a beautiful short tele/portrait lens. Modest aperture of 2.4, but it is a tiny lens.

Then you get the larger aperture 31 mm f/1.8, 43 mm f/1.9, and 77 mm f/1.8 limited lenses for film cameras, but also work well on digital. They are on the pricy side, but well made and good image quality. The 77 mm f/1.8 is really amazing (only one I have personally used). Focus could be a bit off in low light, but for everything else it was fine.

I've noticed the DA primes aren't that fast, how do they compare to Sony, Nikon and Canon offerings like the f1.8 primes?

The DA Limited primes claim to fame is nice metal construction and small size with nice image rendering.

Last question would be about AEB. I know the K5II/K5IIs hasn't been released yet, but what options are available on the K5 for AEB? The A55 was really lacking here, .3EV and .7EV were pretty much useless.

K-5 can do up to 5 exposures 2 EV apart, so up to 8 EV total, e.g. -5, -3, -1, 1, and 3. I think your options are 1, 3, 5 exposures. They all go with single shutter press too.

Pentax has a few ways to go, nice compact sized primes, or weather sealed zooms. I loved my DA* 60-250 mm f/4 that I had. Amazing lens and could shoot in the rain with it, but rather large. The K-5 goes really well with the small limited lenses in my opinion.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow