Which Prime?

Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Schnapper Contributing Member • Posts: 993
Re: I do not see that ghost sun

I'm talking about the one that I think you're describing as the "brighter smaller flare with rainbow colours".... if you download the image and then rotate it 180 degrees, the small bright ghost image that I'm talking about is right over the sun, and the sun is right over the flare. It's easy to do in a program like MS Word becasue you can paste the jpg into a document then grab the little green anchor that lets you spin it around its center and as you spin it you see the rotating image overlaid over the original image - kind of both translucent. The small bright flare that I'm talking about and the real sun in the image overlay on eachother pretty closely when you do that.

I've had those on my 70-200 F4 when shooting in to the sun with a UV filter fitted... but I've never done a "filter on/filter off" test to see if it was caused by the filter or if it was from within the lens.

But I have always thought that the ghost images caused by a flat UV filter we diagonally across the center of the image from the true image.

Edit to add: I just did a quick internet search and found this example of what I'm talking about (and what I think is going on in this photo).

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_50mm/discuss/72157603907741669/

To the OP... Can you please confirm if you had a filter on for the shot of the sun?

brightcolours wrote:

What I see is just the ghost shapes from lens flare, i see on the right side a big circular line, then on the left side a big red-ish ghost flare, then a brighter smaller flare with rainbow colours. No ghost like from a flat UV filter.... Just the normal flares caused by internal reflections from the elements.

Schnapper wrote:

I like the shot of the sunset showing the effect of the 7 bladed aperture... but I notice there's a ghost image of the sun across the center of the image from the actual sun (at about the 10 o'clock position). The effects of UV protective filters are being discussed in another thread, and I'm wondering if this ghost image is caused by the lens itself, or if it's a product of a filter.

Did you have a filter mounted to the lens for that shot, or is it caused by the lens itself?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow