From Canon to Nikon after 20 years

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,499
Re: From Canon to Nikon after 20 years

TerryAnderson wrote:

Hi Simon,

One thing you will like about the D4 is that it is like a Canon for controlling the ambient light during flash photography. It can be set to have separate Exposer Comp and Flash comp. I do believe it is the first Nikon to do so.

Like the other two have said, every Nikon body I know of is capable of separating the camera exp. comp from the flash exp. comp. In all camera bodies you control the camera exp. compensation on the camera body and you control the flash compensation on the flash. Those camera bodies with a pop-up flash have a flash comp button on the body itself. I've never tried to see if this actually controls a hot-shoe mounted flash or just the pop-up.

What the D4 adds is a new feature (custom menu e4) that does exactly the opposite of what you are talking about. It adds the feature to couple the camera (ambient) comp. with the flash compensation. I don't actually like this feature at all and I'm not sure why Nikon made this the default behavior as it could trip a lot of people up.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow