20 minute recording limit on D4

Started Sep 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
bmcent1 OP Contributing Member • Posts: 857
Re: 20 minute recording limit on D4

Ha, great post!

I'm primarily a photographer but a little bit of diversity is a good thing, so video is slowly becoming a small part in my business.

I hate to say what my A camera is, but here goes: Panasonic GH2. Yep, that crappy stills camera that is a finicky but capable video DSLR when "hacked".

Among lots of good features, the "hacked" GH2 can span. It can record an hour or more straight and just starts a new file every 4GB on the memory card.

I don't think heat is an actual limitation on the D4, or else they should implement some sort of lock out to prevent you from just hitting record right away again after the 20 minute limit. Currently, you can do that but you loose a few seconds of recording.

Working this past weekend with both cameras, I came to realize how much more I like the D4. (Kinda obvious, given the price.) But the 20 minute limitation is a real issue for it.

I guess for now I will use the D4 primarily, but use the GH2 for the static, long duration shot of the ceremony.

Not putting any weight in it but hope the 20 minute limit is something Nikon can remove in a firmware update. (As was done in the GH2)

rgolub wrote:

Using a $6000 DSLR for a static B roll camera? Interesting. What is your primary? An Arriflex? (Just kidding, sort of).

Yes, the 20 minute limit is for the internal cards. You can go longer with an external recorder such as an Atmos Ninja but you might have problems with overheating. The current crop of DSLRs aren't designed for that sort of thing.

Further, the limited DOF (a feature, not a bug) makes it hard to use a DSLR as a static camera. You want a large depth of field unless the people in your weddings don't move much at all.

If you just want static HD video for a movie - a camera that just sits there for the entire production and you pull out various clips, for heaven sakes get one of the thousands of perfectly capable video cameras out there and a couple of batteries and let it roll.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow