Let's put the FF crowds into test

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
DontThinkSo Regular Member • Posts: 244
Re: Yes, depending on cost and size and quality

Jeff Charles wrote:

DontThinkSo wrote:

Lets say you are shooting macro bugs, a bee for example. Do you want the entire bee in focus? as much if it as you can anyways? How much of a difference in DOF does FF make? I don't have a FF to compare so I can't say, can you? Is it 1 stop, 2, 3 stops?

According to dofmaster.com, it's about a stop.

Lets say we are shooting early morning, in shade, and want as much of the bee in focus as we can get. To achieve even shutter speed on the FF, if we indeed must stop down aperture in order to match the apsc's wider DOF, we will need to step up our iso, reducing one of the advantages of FF.

True.

How often will you shoot in this situation? maybe often, maybe never. My point is there are instances where FF can be a liability.

Reduce aperture by a stop, and increase ISO by a stop, and you get equivalent results to APS-C with FF.
--
Jeff

Agreed. Now judging by dpr samples, however reliable those are, we can see the difference. This is a K30 at 3200iso next to 3 well known FF bodies at 6400iso. In terms of IQ, I don't see the FF coming out ahead. Of course with downsampling as 2 of the FF samples are above the k30's 16mp perhaps its more fair, but the sony looks downright horrible. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studio-compare#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=pentax_k30&masterSample=imgp1055.acr&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=pentax_k30&slot0Sample=imgp1055.acr&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=canon_eos5dmkiii&slot1Sample=5d3_5218.acr&slot2Camera=sony_dslra900&slot2Sample=dsc00063.acr&slot3Camera=nikon_d700&slot3Sample=dsc_8435.acr&x=0.2944601619592&y=0.8884314953307

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow