Let's put the FF crowds into test

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Charles Veteran Member • Posts: 7,514
Re: Own worst enemy

Wallace Ross wrote:

What exactly makes APSc so bad and compared to what.

It's not that APS-C is bad. FF is just potentially more capable in a few ways, e.g., high ISO, DR, limiting DOF. Some people also like the bigger viewfinder image.

I think in a few years we will look back on images that have super shallow DOF and find them trite and about as appealing as a soft focus image from 1985.

Shallow DOF is an effect that can be used poorly, and a lot of the time too little DOF is the problem, especially for close shots and macro. However, a FF camera can more easily isolate a subject, e.g., a person, from a distracting background. The key words are "more easily."

Yes I want my next camera to be an improvement on the last one but that doesn't require FF.

There are situations in which I would like that extra stop of high-ISO IQ. However, for most of the shooting I do, the K-5 is a more suitable camera. Last week, I shot a theater performance for a friend who wrote and produced the play. I sat in the front row with my K-5 and alternated between a Tamron 17-50 and a 70 Ltd. Given the poor lighting, a FF camera would have been tempting. However, I can't imaging a FF camera being as small and unobtrusive, or as quiet as the K-5. So, even in that situation, it's not clear that the K-5 wasn't the best option.

No I'm not pre-ordering a full frame camera.

I don't have the money, and if I did, I'd spend it on lenses for my K-5, or on an APS-C K-3. Also, I have 5 K-mount lenses, but none that are FF compatible. Going FF would essentially mean buying a whole new system, and that being the case, a Nikon FF might be a better choice than a first-gen Pentax FF.
--
Jeff

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow