GX1 vs NEX 5N

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
madmaxmedia Senior Member • Posts: 1,594
Bottom Line- Both are great, with different strengths/weaknesses

Both are wonderful cameras with different mix of strengths and weaknesses.

What lens do you shoot with currently, or do you prefer to shoot with? M 4/3 definitely has a better selection of lenses, but who knows- you may find that your lens needs are completely satisfied by NEX.

The strengths of the NEX-5N I would say are amazing sensor (both RAW and JPEG), wonderful out-of-camera JPEG's that really 'pop', very compact size but great grip, nice tilt LCD. It is a great consumer camera, but also has a lot to offer to more serious enthusiasts due to that sensor.

The strengths of the GX1 I would say are good sensor with very good RAW (but less attractive JPEG), faster AF, better hardware interface, better lens selection, real hotshoe.

Both cameras have great video. I prefer the 5N because I don't do a lot of editing and prefer MP4, the 1080p MP4 from the 5N looks great and is reasonably sized as well ( 1.25MB/ second of video.)

madmaxmedia's gear list:madmaxmedia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow