DxOMark still silent on the E-M5

Started Sep 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,561
Re: DxO scores ARE a bad joke

Everdog wrote:

Too bad you don't actually look at the scores to see how bad they are, or jsut assume they are good without looking at the actual findings.

The overall score is calculated with a simple formula from the three individual scores and except for the color depth, which is an integrated score, the individual scores can be read directly from the graphs. Until you come up with a different formula that is less arbitrary, theirs is as good as any composite score.

The scores are neither bad or good, they are just one possible way of weighted averaging of different measured values. They include two values for good light situations and one value for bad light situations.

For example the Canon 550D equals or exceeds the 500D in all the individual scores, but somehow has a lower overall score.

I have no idea what you are talking about, the overall score of the 550D is 66 and the overall score for the 500D is 63. The detailed scores are 550D vs 500D:

• Color Depth: 22.1 vs. 21.7 bits

• Dynamic Range: 11.5 vs. 11.5 EV

• Low-Light ISO: 784 vs. 663 ISO

Again the graphs and specific numbers are useful, but the arbitrary overall scores are not helpful.

Not helpful for those unable to control themselves and keep getting worked up about something that any reasonable person would just ignore. Do I have to let off a tirade about the barbaric units called 'imperial' whenever I see somebody using non-metric units? No, but apparently some people cannot pass up any thread with the word DxO in it without complaining bitterly about the overall score.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow